Thursday, September 2, 2010

Toxic sludge and Honey, honey

The other day I was creeping around the blog world  and came across this post by Kami about skin care products. She went searching about her skin cleanser and found quite the dirty truth so, I did the same for my skin products(make up too, luckily I don't wear much), shampoo,  and stuff like that.
When it comes to health I'm a wee bit paranoid, so the result for my face wash/cleanser which I use everyday scared me half to death and back.

I use(d) Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser because when I was 7 the doctor recommended it for my super sensitive skin. The first time I read the ingredients was when I was about to use it the other day,(WATER, CETYL ALCOHOL, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE, STEARYL ALCOHOL, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN). The ingrediants, This and This got me so darn scared.

A quote from Spirit Demerson(A product analyzer for her online beauty store) on the first website "“Cetaphil does not contain even one single beneficial ingredient and what it does contain is the equivalent of toxic sludge. Whether you think it’s keeping your skin healthy or not, it is absorbed into your bloodstream and research has proven almost all of the few ingredients in it are carcinogenic. I know it’s hard to imagine that washing your face can give you cancer but it’s worth consideration.""

My body wash is also really bad, the following is a small quote from a skincare evaluation website "Rated a Highly Toxic Skin Care Product" , "The Body Wash is a chemical soup",  "There is nothing positive about this product". The following quote really got to me and made me upset..."It is not certified organic and it uses synthetic chemicals that have been tested on animals." But luckily I am only using this half the time and in the summer the rest of the time I use a natural one, with very few chemicals. 

So I officially win idiot of the year, I will be changing all this to better for me stuff '-_-


After researching other things, I found out that even though my shampoo isn't that bad, you can still do DIY kinds that are much better.  Luckily for me my skin creams weren't in any type of danger zone, but does that matter when I have been using a cancer causing agent on my skin forever!



Then I began to research what would work for my hair and skin. Turns out it's stuff I almost always have inside my home. The things that came up the most were: Honey, and Avacado, 
Honey can be used for many different problems, see here
Avacado's benifits/usages can be found here

I've also decided to talk to my parents about letting me go shampooless(which just means making your own with household stuff not washing my hair that would be gross) following something like this, also the ingredients in this "shampoo" will help my troublesome hair type. I plan to speak to them about making my own face washes(mainly with honey) kind of like this or  some of these, my skin is also slightly confusing so I will have to experiment with these (which by the way it's a terrible time to do that because school starts so soon for most of us).

What a pretty rant I have made. So people do some research on what you use, it could scare you ahlf to death and back and make you healthier

I may post about some of the results if my parents agree to letting me go all "home natural".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Kami btw ^_^
I'm, glad you read it and are concerned about yourself. I still need to try to do my own thing. I need to go out and find natural stuff. Organic is the best way to go!